If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance.

If you are an EU citizen visiting Spain, you should obtain a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. The EHIC is not a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but it entitles you to state provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as Spanish nationals so if a Spanish national is required to pay a fee towards their treatment, you would also have to pay the same fee. You should produce your EHIC prior to treatment. If an EHIC cannot be produced at the time of receiving care, the hospital may request payment up front. The EHIC will not cover medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment or non-urgent treatment. Private hospitals will not accept the EHIC and will ask you to pay for your treatment, or to provide evidence of adequate insurance. 


You should also make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance/medical assistance company immediately. As a general rule, if you require hospital treatment in Spain you are more likely to receive appropriate care in a public healthcare facility (although in some tourist areas there may be no public healthcare facility nearby). Your insurance/medical assistance company will be able to provide further details.

 If you are a non-EU citizenyou will need a private health insurance. Your policy must include medical assistance, hospitalization and repatriation for the full period of your stay.


In order you have a good medical coverage in Spain, our advise is that you hire a health insurance with a reliable Spanish company. You will find info on some insurance Spanish providers on this link. You need to deal directly with them, in any case, since the host organization has nothing to do with them.